This weekend I was blessed to attend the first ever adoption retreat called Joy in the Journey. Such a wonderful, refreshing weekend that left me feeling like there is hope, that maybe I (with Jesus' help!) can do this thing called parenting. There was also lots of connecting and reconnecting with about 90 other women, having fun and worshiping Jesus with other mommies who just "get it" when it comes to adoption. I've come to realize just how important having this fellowship with these adoptive moms (and families) is. I'm so thankful for each of the speakers, for their honesty and transparency while sharing their heart for adoption. I walked away a changed mommy and wife with more wisdom, insight and tools than I can wrap my brain around!
Over the next few weeks (okay, who am I kidding, it might take a couple months!), I'll try to share a little bit of what I learned. I've already put into practice some of the stuff (from a session called "Connecting While Correcting") and I can tell it's already making a difference. I have 8 posts (started, not finished!) that I will share that will maybe help you begin to see that there is joy in parenting a child from a hard place (and parenting in general).
If you're here, reading this post and you're struggling with parenting your child(ren), I want to tell you, there is HOPE, there is help and you CAN do this (whether the child is adopted or bio)! I would encourage you to check out empoweredtoconnect.org. A lot of the information that was shared in that breakout session came from this ministry. Another great resource is TCU. We watched a couple of scenarios from some of their DVDs and they were very insightful. Here's an article that covers just one of the techniques talked about and at first, I was one who scoffed, but then the speaker tied it into our Christian walk w/God and holy cow, I felt very convicted. So, be prepared. ;)
I'm grateful for the group of ladies who put this conference together! I just wish it could have been longer! ;)
This is the wonderful group of THOGL mommies
(Photo by ScrapLace Studio)

No comments:
Post a Comment